Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Changes, Changes, Changes....

Well, the worst two weeks of my current life have almost past me....I have a slightly new direction and new people to work with....well, I've worked with them before and respect their artistic ideas. The last three semesters are going to require a lot of work with the final semester possibly consisting of 18 credit hours just to get the last 6 hours for my journalism certification along with my MFA. Yes that is slightly insane, but I figure if it is worth it I should at least try. The biggest stress I have to deal with now is being able to afford to print at least two decent sized pieces a semester, and I don't mean 16x20 either, I'm looking at possibly 32x32 or even bigger. I want to see if getting a decent, but smaller inkjet and using some of the techniques I've seen for transferring images will help me reduce the overall costs. The professor I will be working with from now on thinks that my documentary work is my strongest, especially the stuff that seems to evoke emotions. She thinks that the mirrors are interesting, but that they lack a certain punch to them. So that is two professors that think they create interesting ideas, but may be too gimmicky for Thesis work. I find myself in complete agreement on this as I will be looking for work when I am finished, and don't really see that type of work getting me very far. My versatility is a key factor in my development, and I will keep experimenting with different ideas, but I will be focusing on people and places that seem to impact me on an emotional level. My professor and I will also be exploring the works of the best in the field, both from the past and present, and reviewing what we see as being the reason their work is so successful. I don't want to go into great detail about the circumstances behind the change, suffice to say that those involved in helping me make this transition did their very best to accommodate my needs as an artist and student, and that I am still somewhat in the dark as to the circumstances that propagated this need for a change. My next semester is my last one where I will be exploring my craft, then I have to present for my preliminary oral exam, which is where I present my work and discuss my ideas and direction. Then all my work is geared to my thesis, with a review at the end of each semester to discuss my work and assemble my thesis show. Lots of work ahead of me....sort of disappointed that things couldn't have progressed more smoothly, fighting with depression and spiking blood sugar doesn't help in feeling more positive I suppose, but I feel like all we do is work our butts off and don't get much to show for it and our lives are already half over, pretty much. I know we should have 40 or more years, and that people out there are worse off and still make do, so I guess that makes me a little selfish to want something nice to happen for a change.....I have enough character, thanks much.

No comments:

Post a Comment